Fruits and vegetables are considerable this time of 12 months, and now is a terrific time to preserve the harvest. A single preservation approach that is often ignored is freezing.
Freezing is harmless, quickly and presents the freshest style with the greatest diet fee of any preservation approach. Freezing doesn’t eliminate microorganisms, so make certain you clean and offer your develop effectively. Freezing slows or stops bacterial growth simply because of the reduced temperatures. Contemplate these recommendations to get the ideal results.
* Freezers ought to be held at degrees Fahrenheit.
* Deal food stuff in rigid, freezer-harmless containers or freezer luggage. Make certain to label them.
* Vegetables are ideal blanched and cooled prior to getting frozen, given that it stops the ripening motion nonetheless, there are a several exceptions. Sweet or very hot peppers can be washed and put in freezer luggage to be employed afterwards in salsas or foods. Onions may well also be frozen with no blanching, but ought to be double bagged to reduce odor transfers to other foodstuff.
* Fruits typically do not will need pretreatment, but for ease clean and drain them, then freeze individual parts on a tray. It will consider about an hour for them to freeze plenty of to consider the parts off the tray and position them in freezer luggage. When you’re all set to use them, only clear away the amount you will need instead than thawing the overall bag.
* For little berries, the much less managing the greater. Wash, drain and place them in a single layer in a freezer bag. Position the freezer luggage flat on the tray in the freezer so they freeze as individual parts. That way, you won’t have to repackage them and risk breaking them into parts.
* For ideal quality, do not enable frozen fruit fully thaw prior to feeding on, as the freezing approach damages the mobile structure, building the fruit mushy. Put fruit out to eat when you can even now see ice crystals.
* Tomatoes can be washed and frozen with peelings on and can be employed afterwards in salsa or other recipes. To peel the skins prior to working with, pour boiling h2o around them, and the peelings will slip off. Enable the tomatoes thaw a minor prior to trying to chop them for salsa.
* Measure any fruit to be employed in a recipe when it is even now somewhat frozen, and contain any liquid from thawing in the measurement.
For much more details, check out the Nationwide Middle for Property Food stuff Preservation web site at http://nchfp.uga.edu/ and click on the url for freezing.